Examview - wk6.bnk
1. How many milliliters of a 50:50 mixture of diazepam and ketamine at a dose of 1ml/ 20 lb should be
ANS: B8 lb/ 20lb/ml = 0.4 ml total = 0.2 ml diazepam: 0.2 ml ketamine
2. A diagnostic laboratory requires 1 ml of serum to run a chemistry panel. A bird with a PCV of 50%
would need how many full HCT tubes collected to have enough serum for the chemistry panel? (Each HCT tube holds 0.1 ml of whole blood).
ANS: B0.1 ml * 50/100 (50%) = 0.05 ml; 1ml / 0.05 ml = 20 HCT tubes
3. A dosage of 1 tbs EOD requires approximately
ANS: C1 tbs = 15 mls. EOD: 7 doses. Each dose is 1 tbs hence 7 doses * 15 ml = 105 ml for a 2-week supply
4. You are asked to infuse intravenously 500 ml of fluids over a 6 hours. The administration set is
calibrated at 20 drops/ml. After 4 hours you observe that only 150 ml have been given. What should the adjusted drip rate be?a.
ANS: D500 ml - 150 ml = 350 ml350 ml * 20 drops /ml = 7,000 ml in 2 hours7,000 ml / (60 minutes/hr * 2 hrs) ~ 58 drops/min
5. The veterinary dermatologist is having you prepare a dog for a patch test. Forty antigens need to be
tested, and each antigen must be 1 cm from the next. What size patch should you shave on the dog?a.
6. A 5% dextrose solution is diluted with sterile water. THe volume of sterile water added is 40% of the
volume of the 5% extrose solution. What approximately is the new dextrose concentration?a.
ANS: C5% * 100 ml = X% * 140 mlX% = (5% * 100 ml) / 140 ml = 3.57 %
7. You need to deliver 450 ml of 5% dextrose. You have on hand a liter of sterile water and a 500-ml
bottle of 50% glucose. Which of the following is the correct preparation?a.
90 ml of 50% glucose in 360 ml of sterile
0.45 ml of 50% glucose in 40.5 ml sterile d.
4.5 ml of 50% glucose in 445.5 ml sterile
8. A stock solution was diluted 1:5, then 1:3, then 1:2, and finally 1:6 to produce a final concentration of
0.4 mg/ml. The original concentration of the stock solution was?a.
ANS: CTotal dilution = (1/5) * (1/3) * (1/2) * (1/6) = 1/180Total dilution factor = 180Original concentration = Final concentration * DF 0.4 mg/ml * 180 = 72 mg/ml = 7.2%
9. A 30% stock solution of potassium permanganate was diluted four times as follows: 0.1 ml of stock was
added to 0.4 ml of distilled water; 4.5 ml of distilled water was added; the resulting solution was diluted 1:3; the resulting solution was again diluted to 0.06 L. The final concentration of the solution wasa.
ANS: D30% = 300 mg/ml0.1 ml * 300 mg/ml = 30 mg/ml30 mg/ml / 60 ml = 0.5 mg/ml = 0.05%
10. A 14-oz bottle contains approximately?
1. A 4 month old, 3 lb calico female kitten, whose name is Silver, presents to the VTI for respiratory
problems. On presentation she is depressed and temperature = 98 F, HR = 130 and RR = 40. She is weak and her perineum is stained with urine. She has a hacking cough and clear dischare from bost nostrils. She has not eaten for a day and is not drinking any water.
Her chemistry panel revels a low BUN and hyperglobulinemia. There was not enough blood to run a CBC.
The veterinarian decides to put her on LRS fluids at 30cc/lb/day (maintenance rate)How many milliliters of fluids does Silver need for every hour?
ANS: 30 cc * 3 lb = 90 ml90 ml / 24 = 3.75 ml / hr
2. A microdrip set is used to administer LRS fluids for Silver (60 drops/ ml). What is the rate of fluids
ANS: 3.75 ml * 60 = 225 drops / hr225 drops / (60*60) = 0.06 drops/sec or 1 drop / 16 secs
3. Please give 2 differential diagnosis for hyper globulinemia:
ANS: POLYCLONALInfections: Bacterial: Brucellosis, pyoderma, bacterial endocarditisViral: FIP (most common in cats), FIV, FeLVFungal: Systematic: Blastomycosis, histoplasmosis, coccidiomycosisRickettsial: EhrlichiaParasitic: Dirofilariasis, Demodex, ScabiesImmune mediated diseases: Infections (Immune complexes): Dirofilariasis, Feline Cholangitis/ Cholangiohepatitis, pyometraSystemic Lupus Erythematosis (SLE): glomerulonephritis, IMHA, IMT, polyarthritisPemphigus complex, bullous pemphigoidRhematoid arthrititsNeoplasiaMONOCLONALInfection: Ehrlichiosis, Leishmaniasis, FIP, Idiopathic, Benign monoclonal gammopathyNeoplasia: Multiple myeloma, macroglobulinemia, lymphosarcoma, extramedullary plasmacytoma (rare)Miscellaneous: cutneous amyloidosis, plasmatic gastroenterocolitits
Liver and Kidney failure is general: 1/2 point
4. The veterinarian also decides to put Silver on broad spectrum antibiotics to help with the respiratory
infection. How much clavamox 62.5 mg/ml (1 cc per 10 lb) will you give Silver (3 lb) per treatment.
ANS: 3/10 = 0.3 ccWill also accept 18.75 BUT 0.3 cc is what is administered to the pet
5. What are 3 adjunct treatments that can help Silver recover from her upper respiratory disease?
ANS: LysineSaline dropsVitamin B complexNutrition: Gruel A/DMucolytic - acetylcysteineAntitussive: dextromethorphan (in cats caution with hydrocodone or butorphanol)Dextrose in fluidsIntranasal phenylephrine drops - mostly in emergenciesEphedrine - mostly in emergenciesAntihistaminesEpinephrine - vasoconstrictor - mostly in emergency for anaphylactic shock or asthma
Ernährungsempfehlungen bei einem empfindlichen Magen-Darm-Trakt Bei einer Schonkost geht es um die Frage, welche Nahrungsmittel man besser nicht verzehrt, um das Verdauungssystem zu schonen. Dafür gibt es verschiedene allgemeine Empfehlungen; aber gerade bei einem empfindlichen Verdauungssystem müssen natürlich individuelle Nahrungsmittelunverträglichkeiten berücksichtigt werden: V
Vanity, Vitality, and Virility: The Science Behind the Products You Love to Buy, John Emsley, OxfordUniversity Press, 2006, 0192806734, 9780192806734, 259 pages. What is the secret of shower cleaners? Howdoes the dangerous explosive nitroglycerin ward off heart attacks? And what medicines, usually prescribed forother purposes, are said to produce the ultimate orgasm? InVanity, Vitality, and Viri