Next to Nongthymmai Post office Upper Nongthymmai Shillong, Meghalaya 793 014, India
Email:[email protected] I. Education
1985-1990, M S Ramaiah Medical College Bangalore University, India
1994-1997, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India
Manipal Academy of Higher Education (a deemed university)
Diplomate of the National Board of Medical Examinations
Development officer, Indian Institute of Public Health, Shillong, Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI). Wellcome Trust-PHFI fellow - pursuing DrPH (Doctorate in Public Health) at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) on a Wellcome Trust Grant.
PhD guide, Martin Luther Christian University, Shillong, Meghalaya.
Professor, Department of Skin & STIs, SMMC, Kerala
Associate Professor, Department of Skin & STIs, Somervell Memorial CSI Medical College (SMMC), Karakonam, Kerala
Assistant Professor, Department of Skin & STIs, SMMC, Karakonam, Kerala
16/07/01- 15/11/2002 Walter-Freudenthal Research Fellow, St John’s Institute of
Dermatology, Guy’s, King’s & St Thomas’ School of Medicine, London, UK. Clinical research and teaching
PN Berry Fellow, St John’s Institute of Dermatology, Guy’s King’s and St Thomas’s School of Medicine, London, UK.
Assistant Professor, Department of Dermatology Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India
Specialist Registrar (Postgraduate), Department of Dermatology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India
Tutor in Physiology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal.
Membership to Professional Societies
1. Indian Association of Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology : LM/TK/553 2.
Association of Dermatological Surgeons of India (ADSI): 00120
Indian Association of Leprologists (IAL): 629
European Academy of Dermatology Venereology: C4112
British Association of Dermatology: 12286
St John’s Hospital Dermatological Society, London
Distinctions / Awards:
Distinction in Biochemistry in MBBS, 1987
Best paper award at IADVL (KT Branch) Conference, 1995
Fulford Derma Foundation Scholarship 1995 –1996 for excellence in dermatology
Best paper award at IADVL (KT Branch) Conference, 1996
First prize in dermatology quiz. IADVL (KT Branch) Conference, 1996
IADVL Training Fellowship in histopathology. Christian Medical College, Vellore, 1998
Quinoderm Travelling Fellowship, British Association of Dermatologists, Jul-Aug 1999
Bishnupriya Debi award for best published paper in Indian J of Dermatology, Venereology
& Leprology,1998. Awarded at the annual conference of IADVL in Jan 2000 at Bangalore. 10.
P N Berry Fellowship for training in the UK, 2000-2001
Walter-Freudenthal Research Fellowship UK, 2001-2002
Publications Articles in Peer Reviewed Journals Note: Articles numbered 1-15 are available on Medline
1. Ryntihlin Jennifer War, Sandra Albert. Sexuality and ‘Silence’ among Khasi Youth
of Meghalaya, Northeast India. Culture, Health & Sexuality. 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13691058.2013.792955
2. Oyama N, Setterfield JF, Powell AM, Sakuma-Oyama Y, Albert S, Bhogal BS,
Vaughan RW, Kaneko F, Challacombe SJ, Black MM. Bullous pemphigoid antigen II (BP180) and its soluble extracellular domains are major antoantigens in mucous membrane pemphigoid: the pathogenic relevance to HLA class II alleles and disease severity. Br J Dermatol 154(1):90-8, 2006.
3. Powell AM, Sakuma-Oyama Y, Oyama N, Albert S, Bhogal B, Kaneko F, Nishikawa
T, Black MM. Usefulness of BP180 NC16a enzyme-linked immuno-sorbent assay in the serodiagnosis of pemphigoid gestationis and in differentiating between pemphigoid gestationis and pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy. Arch Dermatol 141(6):705-10, 2005.
4. Powell AM, Albert S, Bhogal B, Black MM. Discoid lupus erythematosus with
secondary amyloidosis. Br J Deramtol 153(4):746-9, 2005.
5. Sakuma-Oyama Y, Powell AM, Oyama N, Albert S, Bhogal B, Black MM.
Evaluation of BP180 NC16a enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay in the initial diagnosis of bullous pemphigoid. Br J Dermatol 151(1):126-31, 2004.
6. Albert S, Neill S, Derrick EK, Calonje E. Psoriasis associated with vulval scarring.
7. Powell AM, Albert S, Oyama N, Sakuma-Oyama Y, Bhogal B, Black MM.
Paraneoplastic pemphigus secondary to fludarabine evolving into unusual oral pemphigus vegetans. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 18(3):360-4, 2004.
8. Sakuma-Oyama Y, Powell AM, Albert S, Oyama N, Bhogal B, Black MM. Lichen
planus pemphigoides evolving into pemphigoid nodularis. Clin Exp Dermatol 28(6):613-6, 2003.
9. Harman KE, Albert S, Black MM. Guidelines for the management of pemphigus
vulgaris. Br J Dermatol 2003;149:926-937
10. Powell AM, Albert S, Al Fares S, Harman KE, Setterfield J, Bhogal B, Black MM,
An evaluation of the usefulness of mycophenolate mofetil in pemphigus Br J Dermatol 2003;149:138-145
11. Powell AM, Albert S, Gratian MJ, Bittencourt R, Bhogal BS, Black MM, Pemphigoid
nodularis (non-bullous): a clinicopathological study of five cases. Br J Dermatol 2002; 147:343-349
12. Albert S, Shenoi SD. Acetate sheets in the transfer of epidermal grafts in vitiligo. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2001;44(4):719-20.
13. A Sandra, S D Shenoi, C R Srinivas. Allergic contact dermatitis from Red
Sandalwood (Pterocarpus santalinus). Contact Dermatitis 1996:34:69.
14. A Sandra, C R Srinivas, S C Deshpande. Photopatch reaction to Amitriptyline.
15. Bagai A, Albert S, Shenoi SD. Evaluation and therapeutic outcome of palpable
purpura. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 2001 Nov-Dec; 67(6):320-3.
16. BR Eapen, SD Shenoi, Sandra A. Patch Testing with Shoe series in suspected cases
of footwear dermatitis. Indian J Dermatol 2001; 46(3): 146-148
17. Sathish Pai, R Balasubramanian, SD Shenoi, Sandra A. Clearance of psoriasis
following agranulocytosis. Int J Dermatol 1999 Nov;38(11):876-70.
18. Sandra A, C R Srinivas, Sathish Pai, K Pai, Nirmala R. Oral LP caused by dental
amalgam. Ind J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 1996;62:127-128.
19. Sandra A, C R Srinivas, Shrutakirthi D Shenoi. Immunofluorescence findings in a
case of bullous FDE and Steven Johnsons syndrome. Ind J Dermatol 1996:41(1): 30.
20. A Sandra, P Bejoy, C R Srinivas, S D Shenoi, Sathish Pai, P Dinesh. Direct
immunofluorescence in lichen planus. Ind J Dermatol 1996: 41 (2): 49-50.
21. CR Srinivas, Sandra A. Immunofluorescence in dermatology. Ind J Dermatol
22. GP Kumar, K Yoganarasimha, VV Pillay, S Jitesh, A Sandra, CR Srinivas. How safe
are indigenous medications: A case report on arsenic poisoning. JKAMLS June 1997 (6): 118-19.
23. A Sandra, CR Srinivas, C Balachandran, SD Shenoi. Direct immunofluorescence in
lesional and clinically uninvolved skin in DLE. Ind J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 1999:64(3):150-152
24. Sandra A, C Balachandran, SD Shenoi, L Sabita, Satish Pai, Ravikumar BC, A Roy.
Cryotherapy in basal cell carcinoma. Ind J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 1999;65(1):18-19
25. Sandra A, Satish Pai, S D Shenoi. Unstable vitiligo responding to methotrexate. Ind J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 1998;64(6) : 309.
26. Sathish Pai, CR Srinivas, SD Shenoi, Sandra A. Dermabrasion and cryotherapy in the
treatment of multiple Trichoepithelioma. Indian J Dermatosurgery 1999:1(1) 35-6.
27. A Sandra, CR Srinivas, SD Shenoi, Sathish Pai, Balbir Bhogal. Immunofluorescence
in differentiating between bullous pemphigoid, epidermolysis bullosa acquisita and cicatricial pemphigoid of Brunsting Perry variant. Gulf J Dermatol 1998; 5(2): 8 – 10.
28. CR Srinivas, A Sandra, SD Shenoi, S Pai, P Dinesh. Antigen mapping in hereditary
epidermolysis bullosa. Ind J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 1998;64 (4) : 80-2. (awarded best published paper in IJDVL)
Abstracts in indexed journals
1. Y Sakuma-Oyama, AM Powell, N Oyama, S Albert, BS Bhogal, T Nishikawa, MM
Black. The usefulness of an NC16a domain BP180 enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay in the serodiagnosis of bullous pemphigoid. Br J Dermatol. 2003;149(suppl 64): 50
2. AM Powell, Y Sakuma-Oyama, N Oyama, S Albert, BS Bhogal, T Nishikawa, MM
Black. The usefulness of an NC16a domain BP180 enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay in the serodiagnosis of pemphigoid gestationis (PG) and in differentiating between PG and polymorphic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy. Br J Dermatol. 2003;149(suppl 64):50
3. N Oyama , AM Powell , Y Sakuma-Oyama, S Albert, JF Setterfield, BS Bhogal, A
Hayday, MM Black. A heterogeneity of circulating autoantibodies to type XVII / BP180 in mucous membrane pemphigoid. Br J Dermatol. 2003;149(suppl 64): 52
4. S Reynaert, S Albert, AM Powell, M Black. Successful treatment of two patients
with pyoderma gangrenosum using mycophenolate mofetil. Br J Dermatol 2003; 149 (S64):25
5. S Albert, CR Srinivas, SD Shenoi, SB Pai, L Sabitha. Phototoxic blister induction in
vitiligo surgery. Br J Dermatol 1999:141(55) 30- 31
6. S Albert, CR Srinivas, SD Shenoi, C Balachandran. Non-lethal generalised junctional
epidermolysis bullosa and antigen mapping by immunofluorescence. Br J Dermatol 1999:141(55) 45
7. S Khare, CR Srinivas, S Pai, SD Shenoi, A Sandra. Comparison of bath suit and bath
water PUVA therapy in psoriasis. Br J Dermatol 1999:141(55) 115-6
8. S Albert, BR Eapen, SD Shenoi. Effect of thickness of sunscreen film on the SPF. Br
9. M Ramesh, SD Shenoi, C Balachandran, S Albert. Oral ‘mini-pulse’ steroids in lichen
planus. Br J Dermatol. 2001; 145 (suppl 59): 68
10. AM Powell, R Bittencourt, MJ Gratian, S Albert, S Al-fares, MM Black. Pemphigoid
nodularis (non-bullous) a report of 5 cases. Br J Dermatol. 2001; 145(suppl 59):64-65
11. MM Black, S Albert, AM Powell. Management of severe acquired blistering disease.
Clinical Experimental Dermatol 2001: 26; 208-9
12. AM Powell, S Al-fares, S Albert, MM Black. Mycophenolate mofetil in
immunobullous disease: an evaluation of its usefulness. Br J Dermatol. 2001; 145 (suppl 59): 13- 14
13. S Albert, JLM Hawk, D Fenton, H du P Menage, B Bhogal, P Carrington, MM Black.
Discoid lupus erythematosus with secondary amyloidosis Br J Dermatol. 2002;
Other Publications a) Book and Book Chapters:
1. Kharkongor GC, Albert S. Career Counseling Among Indigenous Peoples. Accepted for
publication as a chapter in G. Arulmani, A.J. Bakshi, A.G Watts, & F. Leong (Eds), Handbook of Career Development: International Perspectives. New York: Springer. In press
2. Sandra Albert, Glenn C Kharkongor. Healing practices of the Khasi and Jaintia People of
Northeast India. In Building Bridges for Wellness in Counselling and Psychotherapy. Center for Diversity in Counselling and Psychotherapy, Bangalore & University of Toronto. 2010: 348-359
3. John LM Hawk, Sandra Albert, Roy A Palmer. Chronic Actinic Dermatitis. Eds:
Lebwohl, Heyman, Berth-Jomes, Coulson. Treatment of Skin Disease, 3rd edition Elsevier. 2010: 146-148
4. MM Black, E Upjohn, S Albert. Amyloidosis. Eds: Bolognia J, Jorizzo J, Rapini
R. Dermatology.2nd edition. Elsevier, Mosby 2008
5. John LM Hawk, Sandra Albert. Chronic Actinic Dermatitis. Eds: Lebwohl,
Heyman, Berth-Jomes, Coulson. Treatment of Skin Disease, 2nd edition Elsevier. 2006
6. Sandra Albert, JLM Hawk. Chronic Actinic Dermatitis. Eds: Lebwohl, Heyman,
Berth-Jomes, Coulson. Treatment of Skin Disease, Mosby, London, UK.2002: 121-123
7. S Albert, John LM Hawk. Sunscreens. Eds: Kastambas, Lotti European Handbook of Dermatological Treatments 2nd edition. Springer, Berlin. 2003: 784-789
8. S Albert, MM Black. Drug-induced pemphigus. Eds: Kastambas, Lotti European Handbook of Dermatological Treatments 2nd edition. Springer, Berlin. 2003: 139-140
9. S Albert, KE Harman, MM Black. Pemphigus erythematosus. Eds: Kastambas,
Lotti European Handbook of Dermatological Treatments 2nd edition. Springer, Berlin. 2003: 382-83
10. S Albert, KE Harman, MM Black. Pemphigus foliaceus. Eds: Kastambas, Lotti
European Handbook of Dermatological Treatments 2nd edition. Springer, Berlin. 2003: 384-87
11. KE Harman, S Albert, MM Black. Pemphigus vegetans. Eds: Kastambas, Lotti
European Handbook of Dermatological Treatments 2nd edition. Springer, Berlin. 2003: 388-89
12. MM Black, S Albert. Amyloidosis. Eds: Bolognia J, Jorizzo J, Rapini R.
Dermatology.1st edition. Mosby 2003 Harcourt Health Sciences, London, UK
b) Articles in newspapers
1. Science and Homosexuality. Shillong Times Sept 1, 2009 2. Confusing Science with Morals. Shillong Times Oct 2009. Response, Letter
3. Matrilineal System: Solution to many Ails. Shillong Times. Nov 1, 2007
Public Health: Sexual and reproductive health, indigenous systems of medicine
Clinical: Immunodermatology and vesiculobullous disorders, photodermatology, vulval dermatoses
PI: Traditional Healers in the Health System of Meghalaya: 2012-2013 funded by
Clinical Research Fellow: Investigation of collagen XVII (BP180)-specific T cells in mucous membrane pemphigoid; potential pathogenic agents, with general relevance to subepidermal immunobullous diseases. Grant from the Walter Freudenthal Research Trust, UK. 2001-02.
Training and Supportive Supervision: Implementation of Private Public Partnership Model for STI/RTIs in 6 Districts under North East Zone by Involving Private Health Care Providers in STI/RTI Control Program under NACP III. Grant of Rs.44 lakhs from National Aids Control Organisation (NACO), Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. Govt. of India. 2008-09.
Consultant: Revitalization of Local Health Traditions to enhance the Health Security of Rural Communities in Pynursla in Pynursla Block, East Khasi Hills District, Meghalaya through Self-Appraisal and self-development by the Rural communities themselves. Grant of Rs. 30 lakhs from Dept. of AYUSH, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India. 2008-11.
Co-Investigator: Prioritisation, identification and mapping of medicinal plants used in traditional medicine systems of the Khasi and Garo tribes of Meghalaya. Grant of Rs 79 lakhs from Dept. of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology. Govt. of India. 2011-14.
VIII. Other Academic Roles:
Reviewer: British Journal of Dermatology
Clinical & Experimental Dermatology
REFILL BY MAIL – RETAIL EXCEPTION DRUG LIST The medications listed below are exempt from the Refill By Mail restriction that requires members to receive refills from the mail service pharmacy after a limited number of fills at a retail location. Members may participate in low-cost generic and other retail programs for the drugs included on this list. GENERIC MEDICATIONS camila tab
The following is a list of the most commonly prescribed drugs. It represents an abbreviatedversion of the drug list (formulary) that is at the core of your prescription-drug benefit plan. The list is not all-inclusive and does not guarantee coverage. In addition to using this list,you are encouraged to ask your doctor to prescribe generic drugs whenever appropriate. PLEASE NOTE: The symbol * nex