Sasol North America Inc.
Technical Data Sheet
ALFOL® Alcohol C10 -C20+ Blends
Sasol North America’s ALFOL® Alcohols are blends of high purity petrochemical-based linear primary alcohols
with even-numbered carbon chain lengths. These ALFOL® Alcohol blends, with carbon chain lengths ranging
from C10 to C20, are either colorless liquids or white solids under ambient conditions. ALFOL® C20+ Alcohols are
waxy solids with off-white coloring and a slight odor. ALFOL® Alcohols are physically and chemically equivalent
to corresponding oleochemical-based alcohols derived from such sources as coconut oil and palm kernel oil.
A U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) amendment permits certain Sasol North America ALFOL® Alcohols
(C6-C18) to be used as substitutes for corresponding naturally derived fatty alcohols in sanctioned direct and
indirect food applications (21CFR 172.864 and 178.3480). Sasol North America has a general obligation to
ensure that ALFOL® Alcohols intended as direct or indirect food additives meet all manufacturing conditions and
specifications outlined in the FDA regulations. An abbreviated summary of approved FDA applications for
ALFOL® Alcohols is available in Sasol North America’s Technical Information Bulletin entitled “ALFOL® Alcohols
Uses As Direct and Indirect Food Additives.” Applications
The high purity and linearity of ALFOL® Alcohols ensure high product yields and quality derivatives. They
readily undergo all of the chemical reactions typical of primary alcohols, including esterification, ethoxylation,
propoxylation, sulfation, oxidation and many others. Derivatives
Some typical examples of derivatives and their end use applications are:
• Alcohol sulfates of ether sulfates for surfactant uses in household laundry detergents, shampoos, cosmetics,
• Ethoxylates or propoxylates for use as biodegradable nonionic surfactants in household and industrial
• Acrylate, metacrylate, maleate, adipate, and fumarate esters for pour point depressants, viscosity modifiers
• Dialkylthiodipropionate esters as antioxidants in plastics and oils
• Stearates, acetates, phosphates, phosphites and phosphonate esters for metal working, pour point
depressants, nonionic surfactants in industrial cleaning applications, antioxidants and corrosion inhibitors
• Alkyl halides for reactive intermediates
• Quaternary ammonium compounds for germicidal and fungicidal products, and fabric softeners
• Amines and ether amines used in ore processing and petroleum additives • Alkyl mercaptans for polymerization modifiers, rubber chemicals and reactive intermediates
• Acrylates and methacrylates for UV curing agents used in coating and inks.
In addition to derivative products, ALFOL® Alcohols high-range blends are used directly in many applications, including: • Lubricants in polymer processing
• Emollients and lubricants in cosmetic and personal care product formulations • Water evaporation control agents, such as layers on lakes, etc.
• Defoamers Note: Other blends in the C6 to C10 range can be made available upon customer request and specific application requirements. ALFOL® C20+ alcohols are used in the following applications:
• Lubricants for plastics, textiles and metals
• Ethoxylation and sulfation to prepare emulsifiers and biodegradable surfactants
• Defoamers for paper, latex and other aqueous slurries (FDA sanctioned CFR 21, § 176.210) • Esters for plastic lubricants and lubricant additives
• Chemical intermediate for other derivatives Properties
1014 CDC 1214
clear color-less clear color-less clear color-less clear color-less clear color-liquid
1218 DCBA 1412
clear color-less clear color-less white solid
1418 GBA 1618
Safety and Handling
Sasol North America is committed to the Responsible Care® initiative. Our ALFOL® Alcohols have undergone a
Product Stewardship review and efforts exist to improve safety, health and environmental awareness. ALFOL®
alcohol blends, ranging from C10-C16 carbons, are typically hazardous (e.g. irritant) by the Occupational Safety
and Health Administration (OSHA. Personal protective clothing and equipment should be used to avoid contact
with eyes or prolonged contact with the skin. Good operating procedures, training and housekeeping should
ensure personnel safety.
ALFOL ® alcohol blends, containing greater than ten percent C10 alcohol, are regulated as marine pollutants by
the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). These products should be handled, packaged and shipped in
accordance with the requirements in Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations Parts 171-180. Hazardous
material descriptions for all modes of transportation are located in Section 14 of the applicable Sasol North
America material safety data sheet. The safety and handling data contained herein are for general informational purposes only. Please refer to the
Sasol North America material safety data sheet for specific, complete information regarding the safe handling,
health and environmental effects of ALFOL
® Alcohol products.
Storage and Transfer
Aluminum and some epoxy-lined tanks are suitable for alcohols with 14 or less carbons. Conventional lines,
hoses, pumps and fittings with the exception of copper alloys are satisfactory for use. Storage in carbon steel,
stainless steel or phenolic-lined tanks is suitable. Precautions against water condensation in storage tanks
should be taken by using dry, inert gas blanketing. Likewise, precautions against the introduction of water in
lines, pumps, etc. should be taken.
When heating solid alcohols and tracing lines, do not use excessively high temperatures in order to maintain
good product color. Hot water or low-pressure steam is preferred, and steam should not be maintained longer
than necessary to assure a liquid product. Where possible, the use of insulation to maintain temperatures is
preferred to steam tracing lines. Availability
ALFOL® Alcohols are available in 55-gallon drums, 50-pound bags, rail cars, tank trucks and barges.
Sasol North America and ALFOL are registered trademarks of Sasol North America Inc.
Responsible Care is the registered trademark of the Chemical Manufacturers Association.
The preceding data are based on tests and experience, which Sasol No rth America believes reliable, and are supplied for informational purposes
only. Sasol North America expressly disclaims any liability whatsoever for damage or injury which results from the use of the preceding data and
nothing contained therein shall constitute a guarantee, warranty, or representation (including freedom from patent liability) by Sasol North America
with respect to the data, the product described, or its fitness for use for any specific purpose, even if that purpose is known to Sasol North America.
For detailed information regarding these products, please refer to the respective Sasol North America Material Safety Data Sheet.
PROHIBITED LIST INTERNATIONAL STANDARD The official text of the Prohibited List shall be maintained by WADA and shall be published in English and French. In the event of any conflict between the English and French versions, the English version shall prevail. This List shall come into effect on 1 January 2012 THE 2012 PROHIBITED LIST WORLD ANTI-DOPING CODE Valid 1 Ja
[.] In the last years the introduction of UVB fototherapy, PUVA therapy, usage of biological products and, in nations of Germanic area, usage of fumaric acid derivatives led to a concept of long term biological modulation in psoriasis. (www.poscare.it/terapia) PRODUCT NAME: PSOCAPS PRODUCT CATEGORY Food supplement based on salts of fumaric acid LIST OF INGREDIENTS ACCORDING TO TYPE AND